Open Networking Summit 2017
April 3-6, 2017 - Santa Clara Convention Center
Robert B. Cohen, Ph.D
Senior Fellow, Economic Strategy Institute
Click here to download the full presentation
This presentation makes five points:
1. Software innovations have become central to business operations. obtaining high performance software, such as Open Source Software, is nearly zero if a firm uses an online exchange such as GitHub and has access to a permissive license. This speeds up software development and reduces its cost because firms can often avoid paying licensing costs.
2. Software innovations are employed in such a wide range of industries that software should be a General-Purpose Technology.
3. Software behaves unlike other products. It is part of a continuing development process with developers adding code as needed. This ongoing process can be seen in new Internet-related software, such as Linux, Open Source, and Docker/containers.
4. The time it takes to complete software innovations is dropping sharply.
5. Businesses take swift advantage of software innovations